Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Personal Favorite

I first read the following poem in my high school Early Childhood Class. Hope you find it meaningful as I always have...

Unity
I dreamed I stood in a studio
And watched two sculptors there
The clay they used was a young child’s mind
And they fashioned it with care

One was a teacher: the tools he used
Were books and music and art
One was a parent with a guiding hand
And a gentle loving heart

Day after day the teacher toiled
With touch that was loving and sure While the parent laboured by his side
And polished and smoothed it o’er

And when at last the task was done They were proud of what they had wrought
For the things they had moulded in the young child’s mind child’s mind Could neither be sold or bought

And each agreed they would have failed If they had worked alone,
For beside the parent stood the school
And behind the teacher, the home

No comments:

Post a Comment